MM: Becoming a Member
While non members are able to post on our forums, take part in chat and follow our Social Media, to fully partake of our community, a person must apply to join as a Citizen, which gives both extra opportunities and responsibilities
To become a Citizen, you must fill out an application, in addition to meeting several criteria. These include
- Reading this section of the Membership Manual about our Community
- Being at least 13 years of age
- Having an account with at least 25 posts on our boards.
Once these steps are completed and the Mayor processes your application, you will be added to the Citizen usergroup.
Please note that in addition to filling out an application to be a Citizen, you may need to respond to follow-up questions from our Mayor. Please follow the instructions in that email; when you have completed this, you will receive an email that indicates you will soon be added to the Citizen usergroup. You are considered a Citizen from the moment you receive this email.
If you have not received an email in your inbox within 7 days, please check your spam box. If the email is not in there, then you should contact the Mayor to inquire as to the status of your application. If you have not been added to the Citizen usergroup within 7 days of receiving your confirmation of successful application, you should also contact the Mayor to inquire about your application status. Please remember that the Mayor and his/her staff are volunteers who donate their time and have many tasks to fulfill, besides also having offline responsibilities not related to the community. Due to the special attention given to every application which comes through, the response time might not be immediate.
The Tower requires Senior Member sponsorship in order to ascertain a more accurate impression of the Citizen’s interactions and activity within the forums from one who is completely familiar with TarValon.Net’s policies and expectations from its Community Membership. This Senior Member personally vouches for the Citizen’s compatibility with TarValon.Net and presents the Citizen as one ready to become a Junior Member of the community.
Posting a thread in the forums asking for sponsors is discouraged. The easiest way to find Senior Members willing to give recommendations is for the Citizen to just be oneself and interact normally on the boards. One is bound to find another with things in common, and this can start natural conversations with other Community Members both in the threads and in PMs. Sometimes this other person is a Senior Member. Most Senior Members are not averse to receiving a random PM, discussing something which came up in the threads.
A Senior Member tends to not prefer the circumstance of a Citizen's first contact being blatantly with the sole purpose of gaining a sponsor for the Hall. Most Senior Members will turn down a request for sponsorship if it is felt that he/she does not know the citizen well enough to vouch for them before the Hall. The particulars of how well a Senior Member might be acquainted with the citizen vary.
The majority of Senior Members simply need to determine that the Citizen is both friendly and interested in the Tower. Others choose to wait and see how involved the Citizen might become, or how maturely they act with others on the site. Some Senior Members sponsor only Citizens with whom they feel a kinship of some sort, whether due to common interests, experiences or otherwise. The exact motivations of sponsorship are as diverse as the Senior Members themselves.
- Citizens - What is required or expected of citizens
- Virtual Events - How to take part in the regular virtual events we hold
- Free Weeks - What are Free Weeks at TarValon.Net
- Leave of Absence - How to inform the administration if you expect to be absent
- Joining the Tower - How to apply to join the White Tower as Novice or Recruit
- Resident Citizen - About the Resident Citizen status for people who do not wish to join the Tower
- Attending an Event - Citizens are eligible to attend any of our events, as long as they have been made real.
- Being made real - Process for confirming identity, required for those who want to attend a real life event
- Applying for a Position - Guidance on how to apply for one of our staff positions
- The Hall - The Hall is responsible for raisings
- Planning an Event - Citizens are also eligible to host local events
- Freeweeks and Festivals - Further details on our freeweeks
- Merit Badges - Our system of acknowledging people who have made substantial contributions to our community