Director of Research and Records
The Director of Research and Records is an Executive position and as such will have all responsibilities inherent in that position, such as working with other Directors and Officers, providing counsel to other Executives when asked, and managing the Department of Research and Records. It is responsible for handling the research needs of our community to make us one of the top go-to websites for Wheel of Time research.
Position Level: Executive
Department: Executive Branch
Rotation: Non-rotating position
Merit Eligibility: Executive Merit
Chain of Command
The Director of Research and Records reports directly to the Archivist.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as a sounding board and counsel for the Officers as needed.
- Administrates articles from assigning articles, to keeping track of their progress, to nudging people who have articles assigned but not completed, to editing articles, to entering articles into our Wiki. Anything and everything to do with articles, you should be prepared to do.
- Fills in gaps in articles as necessary.
- Comes up with new and innovative ideas for articles.
- Organizes the Library into an easily searchable database via the Wiki.
- Moderates the Library forums, including the Classrooms, and keeps forums spoiler free.
- Helps the Tower Historians handle the Tower histories.
- Be able to handle personnel issues within the Department.
- Must be willing and able to spend at least 15 hours a week handling Department issues.
- Must currently be a Senior Member with at least one year good standing as a Senior Member.
- Must currently be able to dedicate at least one year to this position.
- Must have worked in the Department at some point or have a significant interest in research, particularly Wheel of Time research.
- Must have a good knowledge of the series.
- Must be extremely organized.
- Must be a self-starter.
Non Essential Qualifications
- Must either know or be willing to learn the mark-up language utilized in the Wiki.
- A professional background in research of any kind or libraries is a plus.
This position was once known as "Librarian". With the dissolving of the Department of Communication in October 2009, and the creation of the position of Tower Voice, the role was officially known as the Director of Research and Communication. When the Department of Marketing was created in 2010, the position of Tower Voice was moved into that Department and the role again became the Director of Research. After the 2011 Admin Meeting, to emphasize the fact that the department has the added mission of keeping our community's official historical records, the Department was called the Department of Research and Records - and once again the Director's official title changed to reflect this.
Directors of the Department of Research and Records
- Tallan Daar: September 18, 2018 - present